- Due to an increased amount of spam, new users must request an account, confirm their email address and be approved before creating or editing pages.
From The Literary Underground Wiki
Karl Koweski (b. 16 November 1974) is an American poet, author, and editor. He is the author of the column, "Observations of a Dumb Pollack", which debuted in Issue #63 (April 2006) of Zygote in my Coffee and ran there as a regular feature until their final issue in April 2010. Koweski works in a machine shop in Alabama and occasionally gets paid to write articles for porn mags.
Early life and education
Koweski was born and raised in Hammond, Indiana, a suburb of Chicago. Not much is else known about his early years, but he has said he now lives on a mountain in Alabama and is thought to have sung lead and played banjo in the now defunct country/punk/disco band "The Screaming Shits".
Koweski was a resident writer for the now defunct online literary magazine, Cherry Bleeds. In April 2006, Koweski's column "Phantom of the Okra" began appearing on AntiMuse. In Issue #72 (November 2006) of Zygote in my Coffee it was announced that Koweski would be joining Brian Fugett at Zygote as the new co-editor. Koweski was a key member in the Guild of Outsider Writers, the current incarnation of which is the Outsider Writers Collective and Press.
Styles and themes
"Koweski is a ‘meat-and-potatoes’ poet. No fancy language, no speaking over your head. When he writes about the real life you don’t want to see, like babies of dopeheads, disillusionment with a Wild West show, and the painful loss of a memory-laden car, you take his side.” —Cindy Rosmus, editor of Yellow Mama
- IT'S ALL GOOD: How Do You Like It Here Now?, edited by Jennifer Joseph & Wendy Shimamura (anthology), Manic D Press ISBN 0916397858
- Playthings, Future Tense Books (2001) ISBN 1892061147
- Internet Killed the Mimeo Starr, Hemispherical Press
- Casualty of the Industrial Revolution, Liquid Paper Press (2004)
- Can't Kill a Man Born to Hang, Bottle of Smoke Press (2005) ISBN 0975972367
- Demon Country, Showcase Press
- Diminishing Returns, Sunnyoutside (2007) ISBN 1934513016
- Industrial Strip, Covert Press
- "Low Life by Karl Koweski Reviewed by Lynn Alexander", Full of Crow (2010)
- "Diminishing Returns by Karl Koweski Reviewed by Eleanor Goodman", Ibbetson Update (2007)
- "Interview with Karl Koweski", Future Tense Books
- "Writer's Corner:Karl Koweksi", What to Wear During an Orange Alert